Monday, March 30, 2009

What is being taught in school's these days?

First I'd like to start off this blog by saying Wow. This article by Vince Leibowitz on March 30, 2009 http://capitolannex.com/2009/03/30/analyze-evaluate-and-critique-becomes-new-strenghts-weaknesses-for-science-educators-in-texas/ is about what is going to be taught in science classes in Texas. What basically is being done is now everything in refernce to the bible or anything else along those lines is shifted to science. In my oppinion, I agree with Vince. The way he tied in the real facts to his article instead of simply throwing them out there was very assuring. I agree that if this shift is going to take place, then we will have to stick with it. This new teaching is doing away with any biblical reference which I do respect and agree with, but also does away with subjects like evolution, global warming, and gravity. I may not agree with all of these teachings, but I do think some of that stuff is fact.

This article is directed to people who see the same way he does. I think especially here in Austin this shift is a good one, but is also a controversial one (just like with every decision made in Texas). In this article he does point out his oppinion on the matter, and to a degree I see where he is coming from. In school's these days anyway, all that kids are taught is to take that stupid TAKS or TEKS test. On the science portion I think it would be better for EVERYONE's sake to just teach science. That way there is no question or confusion around it from personal beliefs...it should be just fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment